Dump question on qemu migration

From: keerthi vassan
Subject: Dump question on qemu migration
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 17:09:49 -0800

Hello All,

This is my first post on qemu, recently starting troubleshooting one of vm migration slowness, having below question unanswered for myself

1) will qemu uses host main memory for migration or uses vm memory ranges during migration?
2) How many threads will qemu create during migration to move disk transfer?

Setup details:

Using Ubuntu+ openstack as cloud layer to perform migration, working as expected, issues is we have a setup with huge pages reserved for vm and left only 60Gb for host operating systems

During migration of vm with disks, able to see source host doesn't have any additional worker threads created by qemu process and io transfer is very slow , taking longer time for migration. But memory transfer is really fast.

Trying to troubleshoot what causes the io slowness and seeing why not additional workers threads are not being created by qemu main process (vm)

I was helpless at this point to proceed further and in don't know how to correlate data which I collected

Can some one help me on this ?

Regards,
Keerthivasan