Re: Cross compilation of QEMU source code for ARM64

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Cross compilation of QEMU source code for ARM64
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 12:47:41 +0000

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 at 19:57, Pedro Miguel Veiga de Almeida e Silva
<up201806445@g.uporto.pt> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to cross compile the source code to deploy it in a xilinx ZCU106.
> But every time I execute the ./configure --target-list=aarch64-softmmu
> --enable-kvm and then make.
>
> But the file that compiles is a X86.

--target-list specifies the target architecture, which to
QEMU means the architecture the guest code runs. The
architecture of the host (the machine QEMU runs on) is
determined by what compiler you are building it with.
If you run configure on an x86 machine and do not tell it
"hey, you should build this with this cross compiler" then
configure will just use 'gcc' and you will get x86 binaries.

Typically you want to pass configure something like
 --cross-prefix=aarch64-linux-gnu-
but this will only work if your host has the complete
aarch64 cross-build environment set up, including the
toolchain, pkg-config and all the necessary dependent
libraries.

thanks