audio performance running Linux arm64 on Macos arm64

From: Frank Carmickle
Subject: audio performance running Linux arm64 on Macos arm64
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 17:01:24 -0500

Greetings Qemu users,

I've been fighting with audio support for a Linux guest on Macos. I am
currently using the UTM wrapper, which I see has forked Qemu, so apologies if I
need to run mainline Qemu to provide the right feedback to the mailing list.

I'd like to run the Debian kernel, if possible. The only audio drivers that UTM
has that are also in the Debian kernel are ich6 and ich9, hda_intel. After some
time the audio stops playing and usually the following is found in kmsg.

snd_hda_intel 0000:00:02.0: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #0.
Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.

I've played with setting different module parameters. Currently I have

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1 bdl_pos_adj=8,8 \
position_fix=2 \
align_buffer_size=0 \
 beep_mode=1 power_save=0

With those settings, I seem to not loose the audio, but the latency is so high
that it's difficult to use the system.

I need the latency to be low, as I am using a screen reader in the virtual
machine.

Can anyone make some recommendations on module parameters or qemu options to
use to get stable low latency audio from a arm64 Linux virt on an arm64 Macos
system?

Thanks so very much for any help.
--FC