QEMU and Spice via MacPorts on Apple M1

From: Justin
Subject: QEMU and Spice via MacPorts on Apple M1
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 15:38:53 -0500

I have QEMU built via MacPorts working.  But, I don't have window resizing and cut-and-paste.  I think the way to get that working is via Spice.

I had spice running on Windows x86, but I am having trouble on Mac arm.  I installed "qemu +spice" via MacPorts, but it says qxl is not available:

$ qemu-system-aarch64 -machine virt -vga qxl
qemu-system-aarch64: QXL VGA not available

With my current config, the video is very slow.  It appears to be screen copying from the frame buffer of the virtual machine, and it takes maybe half a second to copy the entire screen - like dumb screen blasting.

My current command-line is:

qemu-system-aarch64 \
-machine virt \
-smp cpus=8,sockets=1,cores=8,threads=1 \
-cpu host \
-accel hvf \
-device nec-usb-xhci \
-device usb-kbd \
-device usb-tablet \
-drive file=$path/aarch64-code.fd,format=raw,if=pflash \
-drive file=$path/arm-vars.fd,format=raw,if=pflash \
-m 16G \
-vga none \
-spice port=3001,disable-ticketing=on,addr=127.0.0.1 \
-device virtio-gpu-pci \
-device virtio-serial \
-chardev spicevmc,id=vdagent,debug=0,name=vdagent \
-device virtserialport,chardev=vdagent,name=com.redhat.spice.0 \
-monitor stdio \
-drive format=qcow2,file=$path/main.qcow,discard=unmap

My non-spice config uses the virtio-gpu-pci, but it is likely wrong.  But, I don't see "-vga qxl" (though I think Arm doesn't have vga), nor do I see any "qxl" devices in "-device help".

Does anybody have a Mac/ARM/QEMU/Spice install working that could give me hints about the correct config?  It is possible that MacPorts is not correctly configuring the build, as well.

-Justin