Shared guest network between hosts

From: afaas
Subject: Shared guest network between hosts
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 22:21:13 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

Looking to setup a shared network between hosts for guests. This seems to be possible with socket based networking but it lacks tap functionality. I'm wondering what other methods there are? I have found OVS as a method, which looks to be GRE; is native linux GRE supported or does it have to be OVS? Admittedly I'm most curious about VXLAN as it appears to be similar to socket, but may support tap. Is VXLAN an option with qemu?

Thanks!