PS/2 keyboard emulation in QEMU vs. SCO 5 guest

From: Frantisek Rysanek
Subject: PS/2 keyboard emulation in QEMU vs. SCO 5 guest
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2022 00:41:09 +0200

Dear fellow tinkerers,

as an academic exercise (will need to tackle licensing if this turns
out technically feasible) I'm teasing an image of SCO OpenServer
5.0.6 in a QEMU+KVM VM (QEMU 5.2 on Debian 11).

The disk image is effectively a backup copy of an old SCO-based PC
box that is starting to have HW issues, and the existing software
cannot be reinstalled and it would make sense to move the software =
OS + apps "en bloc" into a VM.

On ancient bare metal, the disk boots just fine, I can log in and
everything works.

When I connect that same disk to a QEMU VM, OpenServer does detect
the emulated IDE disk controller, does detect the system disk and
rattles its heads a little, and then the VGA console asks for booting
into the single-user runlevel (requiring a root password), or a
CTRL+D to continue booting normally.

The trouble is, that in the VM, at this point the keyboard no longer
responds. The NumLock LED on the keyboard is responsive, probably
owing to the host OS (Debian) that keeps living. But, I cannot enter
a root password or try a CTRL+D.

In the initial "laundry list of hardware detected", the OpenServer
does report a PS/2 keyboard controller at ISA at a standard address.
But, when the request for CTRL+D appears, the OpenServer in a VM no
longer responds to my keyboard.

I'm a fan of QEMU - owing to its large set of configurable options.
Interestingly to me, I haven't found a single option related to the
PS/2 KB controller hardware... probablly because there's nothing to
tweak about it. Any suggestions what else could help?

Frank