Re: Using QEMU for running RISC-V programs

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Using QEMU for running RISC-V programs
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 10:07:46 +0000

Vincent Abraham <vincent.ahm@gmail.com> writes:

> I have installed the QEMU emulator for running a 32-bit RISC-V machine. But
> now I'm not sure how to compile and run my own programs
> (C or Assembly) using QEMU. Could I get some easy to understand
> documentation regarding this?

Installing and cross building binaries is a bit out of scope for QEMU
(although QEMU is often used to run a guest userspace with "native"
compilers if the cross compilers are hard to get hold of). The riscv32
compilers themselves are a bit of a pain to get hold of as not many
distros package them up.

Assuming you just want to run userspace code it's as simple as:

  ./qemu-riscv32 <program>

although you might want to setup binfmt_misc to automatically run your
riscv32 binaries.

--
Alex Bennée