Re: Unable to boot Fedora LiveCD from USB pendrive with qemu-system

From: Pascal
Subject: Re: Unable to boot Fedora LiveCD from USB pendrive with qemu-system
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 12:36:56 +0100

hi,
may be with
-drive if=none,file=/dev/sdb,id=usb -device usb-storage,drive=usb,id=usb
and possibly add -snapshot
regards.

Le lun. 8 nov. 2021 à 17:23, Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> a écrit :
On 07/11/2021 16.30, Marcin Zajączkowski wrote:
> Hi. Having some (dracut-related) issues with a Fedora LiveCD installed
> on a pendrive, I wanted to play with it using qemu instead of a real
> computer. Unfortunately, while the pendrive boot fine in real, with
> qemu, I ended up with "Booting from Hard Drive..." displayed and 2
> vCores working on 100% for several minutes (until I interrupted it).
> Most likely, it is a problem with the way I try to achieve that:
>
>> sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 4196 -drive file=/dev/sdb,format=raw,index=0,media=disk -boot menu=on
>
> or more "dangerous" variant:
>> sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 4196 -hda /dev/sdb -boot menu=on

IIRC that will attach the disk as an IDE drive to your guest. And I guess
the initrd of your guest does not contain the right kernel modules for this
interface.

> What could be wrong with that approach? What is the best way to boot a
> VM using a bootable disk connected as a USB device (here recognized as
> /dev/sdb)?

Not sure, but you could try to attach it as (emulated) USB device to your
guest, too, by using something like:

  -drive if=none,id=d1,file=... -device usb-storage,drive=d1

  HTH,
   Thomas