Re: Initialize RAM from a file and save it to the file

From: Igor Mammedov
Subject: Re: Initialize RAM from a file and save it to the file
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 15:03:13 +0200

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 12:01:10 +0200
Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <f4bug@amsat.org> wrote:

> Hi Hiroko,
>
> On 7/19/21 11:34 AM, Hiroko Shimizu wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'd like to initialize RAM from a specific file when RAM is created.
> > Then,  I tried using memory_region_init_ram_from_file().
> > Could you tell me what I need to do or another way to initialize RAM
> > from a file?
> >
> > Also, is it possible to save RAM's value to the file when a value is
> > written to RAM which is initialized memory_region_init_ram_from_file()?
>
> 2 years ago I was using -mem-path /dev/shm/ (and maybe -mem-prealloc) to
> keep the ram sync on a file, pause the VM and analyse the memory, but it
> stopped working after the global memdev refactor. I don't think my use

-mem-path should still work as it's aliased to default memdev,
(see: create_default_memdev), that's assumes legacy CLI and that
board uses MachineState::ram as RAM.
(it certainly worked on mainstream boards, if you share your CLI
I can look if it's expected or a bug).

For new CLI:
it's recommended to use '-machine memory-backend=' which points to previously
specified file backend, ex:

  -object
memory-backend-file,id=myram,share=yes,size=1G,mem-path=/ram-image-file \
  -machine memory-backend=myram

Above will create memory region and assign it to MachineState::ram,
so one should use that instead of manually calling