QEMU with x86-64 EFI disk image crashes WSL2 window

From: Konstantin Aladyshev
Subject: QEMU with x86-64 EFI disk image crashes WSL2 window
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 19:29:47 +0300

I have problems with QEMU on WSL2 (Ubuntu 20.04.1).

I'm trying to launch 'disk.img' generated from the buildroot
'pc_x86_64_efi_defconfig' according to the buildroot readme
https://github.com/buildroot/buildroot/tree/master/board/pc

I have downloaded and built qemu-6.0.0.

Everything works fine when I boot in graphic mode:
```
$ ./build/qemu-system-x86_64 \
                 -M pc \
                 -bios ~/edk2/Build/OvmfX64/RELEASE_GCC5/FV/OVMF.fd \
                 -drive
file=~/buildroot/output/images/disk.img,if=virtio,format=raw \
                 -net nic,model=virtio \
                 -net user
VNC server running on 127.0.0.1:5900
```
I can connect to the VNC server and see that the system has booted successfully.

But when I use 'nographic' mode, everything crashes:
```
$ ./build/qemu-system-x86_64 \
                 -M pc \
                 -bios ~/edk2/Build/OvmfX64/RELEASE_GCC5/FV/OVMF.fd \
                 -drive
file=~/buildroot/output/images/disk.img,if=virtio,format=raw \
                 -net nic,model=virtio \
                 -net user \
                 -nographic
```
After this command for a second I see GRUB screen, but after that
everything crashes to a point that the WSL window is even getting
closed.

Just in case it is possible to run QEMU with nographic mode if
'disk.img' argument is not provided. OVMF successfully boots to the
UEFI shell. But as soon as I add the 'disk.img' to the QEMU options
WSL window crashes.

What can be the source of this behaviour? Is this a known bug? Is
there a way to fix it?

Best regards,
Konstantin Aladyshev