RE: how to setup user mode network backend and test it?

From: ckim
Subject: RE: how to setup user mode network backend and test it?
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 07:35:18 +0900

Hello Peter Maydell,

I thought I can set real IP address to the VM(I know with tap networking it's
possible). 129.254.254.x is the address used in our department.
OK, I'll understand that, with just "-netdev user,id=n1 -device
e1000,netdev=n1" option, there are DHP server, DNS server and SMB server at
10.0.2.x as shown in the document provided to me. The document says "You can
use a DHCP client to automatically configure the network in the QEMU VM. The
DHCP server assigns addresses to the hosts starting from 10.0.2.15." Then, do I
get 10.0.2.15 automatically? After linux boots, I don't see that address
assigned to eth0. My initial eth0 state is like this (no IP address)

2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop qlen 1000
    link/ether 52:54:00:12:34:56 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

How should I 'run dhcp client'? (maybe I don't know how I can set linux Image
to use DHCP for network setting, I tried ip=dhcp in kernel command line to no
avail.)

Also, in the document it says : "you can download the linux-test-xxx.tar.gz
archive and copy the script qemu-ifup in /etc", but where can I get this
linux-test-xxx.tar.gz file? (I have used tap networking for qemu and rtems in
the past and have those scripts on another machine, but I'm not sure they are
correct/optimal, there are several variants/blocked commands I tried).

Thank you!
Chan Kim