Re: how to setup user mode network backend and test it?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: how to setup user mode network backend and test it?
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 14:41:06 +0100

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 at 14:22, <ckim@etri.re.kr> wrote:
> I tried qemu networking but it doesn’t work and I can’t figure out what is
> wrong.
>
> I first tried “-netdev user,id=n1 -device e1000,netdev=n1” as network
> option,(I added e1000 driver in the linux kernel build too.).
>
> By `ip link show` I can see there is the ‘eth0’ interface. So I gave commands
> below
>

> ifconfig eth0 129.254.32.55 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
>
> route add default gw 129.254.32.1

Where are you getting these IP addresses from ?

The usual thing with user mode networking is to run a dhcp
client inside the guest and let that deal with it (there is a fake
DHCP server provided by QEMU that the guest will see on the usermode
network). You should get an address in the 10.0.2.x range.

https://qemu-project.gitlab.io/qemu/system/net.html#using-the-user-mode-network-stack

thanks