Re: Converting QEMU .raw to VMDK VMware

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: Converting QEMU .raw to VMDK VMware
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:07:33 +0200

On 2021-04-14 19:40, Terrance Battle wrote:

Hi,

I have a question, how do I go about converting a .raw snapshot to VMware VMDK? We’re looking to move the .raw snapshot to  our new VMware environment for DevOps.

Thanks,

Look at qemu-img, it can convert between many virtual disk formats,
including the generic .raw format and an older version of the
VMWare VMDK format.

Another option is to look at VMWare conversion tools, as they
should support the generic raw format too.

Since you seem new to this, please note that you may also have to
reconfigure the OS inside the virtual machine to support the VMWare
virtual hardware as opposed to the qemu virtual hardware.  VMWare
conversion tools may have options to do that appropriate for your
current VMWare product versions.

Enjoy

Jakob