Re: Connectivity for a qemu guest; was Re: Connection of a qemu guest to

From: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: Connectivity for a qemu guest; was Re: Connection of a qemu guest to the 'net.
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 11:57:07 -0400

peter@easthope.ca said on Fri, 19 Mar 2021 09:33:07 -0700

>(4) Q: Why does qemu involve a bridge rather than only routing?
>
>A: My hypothesis.  Routing requires adjustment of iptables. Direct
>editing of iptables is difficult and error prone for non-experts. An
>alternative is to use Shorewall or similar functionality.  Shorewall
>is large package.  Imposing dependance of qemu on Shorewall will be
>unwelcome to some users.  A bridge is an expedient solution.

I'm unclear as to how "routing" is an alternative to a bridge and vice
versa. Would this "routing" take place on the hardware host, or the
software guest? Did you by any chance mean NAT instead of "routing"?

Are you able to use Inkscape or something else to make a simple diagram
of the bridgeless host/guest interaction you've been trying to achieve?
Here's a sample block diagram:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/qemu/images/mm_complex_bridge.svg

Keep up the good work!

Thanks,