Re: How to make a VM guest look like just another metal machine on my LA

From: Simon Becherer
Subject: Re: How to make a VM guest look like just another metal machine on my LAN?
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 18:02:54 +0100

Hi,

Am 21.02.21 um 09:46 schrieb Steve Litt:
> Hi all,

> Steve Litt
> Autumn 2020 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive

i have only partly read your mail.
but i think it sounds like a problem similar to one i have had
with the "firewalld" and ssh from outside to a virtual machine.
(a year or so in past)

(i am here at host opensuse tumbleweed and different virtual machines startet
by virtmanager.
so i have set inside yast (host) the bridge device "br0" and have permanent set
the hardware-network-card (host) as a slave to this bridge. the connection to
the guest will
be done automaticaly by virt-manager. no need to write a script.)
BUT i run into a routing problem, solved here:

i was following this:
https://superuser.com/questions/990855/configure-firewalld-to-allow-bridged-virtual-machine-network-access
in detail:
firewall-cmd --permanent --direct --passthrough ipv4 -I FORWARD -i br0 -j ACCEPT
firewall-cmd --permanent --direct --passthrough ipv4 -O FORWARD -i br0 -j ACCEPT
firewall-cmd --reload
this will create a file: /etc/firewalld/direct.xml
with the above entries.
i tested also then:
iptables-save  -f dateiname
iptables-restore -f dateiname
iptables -L
now there is a line more inside: -A FORWARD -i br0 -j ACCEPT
but i do not recall why i have done this. my working configuration did not have
the last "-A" line inside.

hope this  will help you.
for test purpose i would (if possible inside your enviorement) stop the
firewall (host) completely and check
if its then running. if its running, you know for sure its a firewall problem.

simoN

--
www.becherer.de