Re: Optimized clocksource with AMD AVIC enabled for Windows guest

From: Vitaly Kuznetsov
Subject: Re: Optimized clocksource with AMD AVIC enabled for Windows guest
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 10:15:51 +0100

Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> writes:

> On 03/02/21 07:40, Kechen Lu wrote:
>> From the above observations, trying to see if there's a way for
>> enabling AVIC while also having the most optimized clock source for
>> windows guest.
>>

> You would have to change KVM, so that AVIC is only disabled if Auto-EOI
> interrupts are used.

(I vaguely recall having this was discussed already but apparently no
changes were made since)

Hyper-V TLFS defines the following bit:

CPUID 0x40000004.EAX
Bit 9: Recommend deprecating AutoEOI.

But this is merely a recommendation and older Windows versions may not
know about the bit and still use it. We need to make sure the bit is
set/exposed to Windows guests but we also must track AutoEOI usage and
inhibit AVIC when detected.

--
Vitaly