Re: network buffering in fault tolerance

From: Jason Wang
Subject: Re: network buffering in fault tolerance
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 15:31:55 +0800

On 2020/9/30 下午1:12, Shivam Mehra wrote:

I came across this documentation with source code for providing network buffering to applications https://www.nfradead.org/~tgr/libnl/doc/api/route_2qdisc_2plug_8c_source.html <https://www.infradead.org/~tgr/libnl/doc/api/route_2qdisc_2plug_8c_source.html>. This network-buffering helps output-commit problem when providing fault tolerance to virtual machines. The output is buffered until an acknowledgement arrives from the backup VM and then released to the external world. So that backup and primary VMs seem consistent externally. Initially developed for XEN VMM to provide fault tolerance to VMs and I think it's now available for |QEMU| too.

Where does the script reside which does network-buffering for checkpoints? and what are the commands to make this happen?

I want to do this network-buffering for packets originating from an application. Is it possible to do it in the same way as above? Does it do any damage to the host kernel? Can I get  a simple working example for this?

Hi Shivam:

I haven't gone through the qdisc you mentioned, but it depends on a specific host network setup to work if I understand correctly.

Qemu support a native HA (COLO) which has a buffer filter.

Cc Chen for more information.

Thanks