Re: guest with one persistent and one snapshot disk

From: Ivan Vulovic
Subject: Re: guest with one persistent and one snapshot disk
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 12:22:35 +0100

On 2019-11-18 14:25, Lukas Straub wrote:
On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 23:18:18 +0000
Ivan Vulovic <address@hidden> wrote:

I am hoping to find out whether the following use case is supported. I have a Windows VM that I want to configure to run in two modes:

  *   public mode (works as intended)
     *   internet
* disk0 (the OS) in persistent mode, i.e. writable, for updates and program installation * private mode (the entire setup is snapshot when i want just disk0 to be snapshot)
     *   no internet
     *   disk0 in snapshot mode, i.e. all changes disappear on reboot
* disk2 in persistent mode, i.e. the default. changes persist across reboot.

As indicated above, I want the VM to run in private mode with one disk in snapshot mode, and the other persistent. What is actually occurring is that the snapshot mode applies to the whole VM, not on a per-disk basis.

I am running qemu with the following disk-related args in private mode.

-drive id=disk0,index=0,if=virtio,cache=unsafe,format=raw,discard=unmap,detect-zeroes=unmap,file=/dev/vg0/win10_base,snapshot=on -drive id=disk2,index=2,if=virtio,cache=unsafe,format=raw,discard=unmap,detect-zeroes=unmap,file=/dev/vg0/win10_private"

In public mode, I omit the private disk and remove the snapshot=on flag. That works fine.

Hi,
have you already tried passing "snapshot=off" to disk2?

Regards,
Lukas Straub

Additional: IIRC snapshot=on is default.
--
Dyn@mic IP'ing: http://dyndn.es