Re: run a simple 16-bit real mode OS in qemu VM

From: Pascal
Subject: Re: run a simple 16-bit real mode OS in qemu VM
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 09:52:57 +0100

hi,
try : qemu  jsec2.bin  -snapshot

Le mar. 29 oct. 2019 à 07:45, bilsch01 <address@hidden> a écrit :
I have a simple 16-bit real mode OS called JINX that I have been
running/testing on a flash drive. I write the 8192 byte file, jsec2.bin,
to a flash drive using the linux dd copy utility, and then boot the
flash drive. The .bin file is a binary file created from assembly
language using the nasm assembler. I want to run jsec2.bin in a VM using
qemu. I don't know much about qemu. The three steps below are based on a
tutorial for creating a VM for Ubuntu 15.04 Server. If someone can
answer the QUESTION in step 2 below I may be moving down the road.

1) they create a 20GB hard disk image:
qemu-img create ubuntu.img 20G

50 MB is plenty so I would try this:

qemu-img create jinx.img 50M

2) they boot the Virtual machine:
qemu-system-xi386 -hda ubuntu.img -boot d -cdrom
/home/sk/Soft_Backup/OS\ Images/New/ubuntu-15.04-server-i386.iso -m 640

HERE'S THE QUESTION: how do I adapt the above line to my situation:

a) binary file of 16-bit code (no cdrom, no .iso)
b) path/file is home/jinx/jsec2.bin
c) required memory is 1 Mb

3) they boot the system with:
qemu -hda ubuntu.img -m 640