Re: How am I supposed to use the -audiodev option?

From: Lukas Straub
Subject: Re: How am I supposed to use the -audiodev option?
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 12:23:49 +0100

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 07:35:23 +0200
_ <address@hidden> wrote:

> No matter what I try, it keeps slapping me on the face with a
> "audiodev default parameter is deprecated, please specify
> audiodev=foo" warning:
>
> $ qemu -soundhw ac97 -audiodev alsa,id=alsa
> audio: Device ac97: audiodev default parameter is deprecated, please
> specify audiodev=alsa
> $ qemu -audiodev alsa,id=alsa -soundhw ac97
> audio: Device ac97: audiodev default parameter is deprecated, please
> specify audiodev=alsa
>
> Of course, trying to specify anything like "audiodev=alsa" anywhere
> results in an error. And omitting either the -audiodev or the -soundhw
> option results in no sound in the guest.
>
> I'll have to either grit my teeth or use the "deprecated"
>
> QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=alsa qemu -soundhw ac97
>
> and try to forget about it.
>
> Also, the documentation is as obtuse as humanly possible, and gives
> no hints whatsoever to how to emulate multiple sound cards and direct
> them to different backends.

From qemu's manpage:

       -audio-help
           Will show the -audiodev equivalent of the currently specified
           (deprecated) environment variables.

$ qemu-system-x86_64 -audio-help
Environment variable based configuration deprecated.
Please use the new -audiodev option.

Equivalent -audiodev to your current environment variables:
(Since you didn't specify QEMU_AUDIO_DRV, I'll list all possibilities)
-audiodev id=pa,driver=pa
-audiodev id=alsa,driver=alsa
-audiodev id=oss,driver=oss
-audiodev id=none,driver=none