Re: qemu-img - vhdx compatibility with Hyper-V

From: Adam Baxter
Subject: Re: qemu-img - vhdx compatibility with Hyper-V
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 17:47:29 +1100

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 at 17:25, Christopher Snowhill (kode54) <address@hidden> wrote:
You need to copy the resulting vhdx to a new file, either using the terminal copy command, or using Explorer. Unfortunately this issue has already been reported but not dealt with by anyone. Basically, qemu-img is creating a sparse file, with holes for all the empty sectors in the virtual disk, but Hyper-V doesn’t like this, and rejects the resulting files. You need to use some copy mechanism that will rewrite the image(s) as non-sparse files.

Ah right, disregard my bump on the bugtracker then - the files I uploaded will work just fine.

I'm not familiar enough with qemu's source code to fix this, unfortunately. If there's a way to step-debug qemu on Windows I can have a look, though.

--Adam