Re: [Qemu-discuss] Create mipsel debian image by booting iso with qemu

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Create mipsel debian image by booting iso with qemu
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 16:47:25 +0100

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 at 15:33, Paulo Matos <pmatos@linki.tools> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am on qemu4.0 and I am trying to create a debian stretch image to
> flash an sd card.
>
> After downloading the netinst image of debian I try:
> qemu-system-mipsel -m 1024 -nographic -drive
> if=virtio,format=raw,file=/home/pmatos/Downloads/debian-9.9.0-mipsel-netinst.iso
> -hda hda.img
> qemu-system-mipsel: Could not load MIPS bios 'mipsel_bios.bin', and no
> -kernel argument was specified
>

> where hda.img was previously created with `qemu-img create -f qcow2
> hda.img 8G`.
>
> Where can I find a mipsel_bios.bin? Or workaround this? I want to flash
> this sd card to use it in a MIPS CI20 board - CPU is Ingenic Xburst
> V4.15, but I don't see how that could be relevant.
>
> What am I missing in the qemu boot line above?

You need to either specify a BIOS (rom image), or you need to
pass QEMU a kernel image file. Otherwise there is no
code running in the guest which has the necessary drivers
and so on to look inside your cdrom image. A quick
bit of googling suggests that the simplest approach
is to do the latter, eg:

https://gist.github.com/extremecoders-re/3ddddce9416fc8b293198cd13891b68c
https://people.debian.org/~aurel32/qemu/mipsel/

thanks