Re: [Qemu-discuss] [kubevirt-dev] Re: Converting qcow2 image on the fly

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] [kubevirt-dev] Re: Converting qcow2 image on the fly to raw format
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 09:56:30 +0100

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 02:17:18PM +0300, Adam Litke wrote:
> Adding some kubevirt developers to the thread.  Thanks guys for the
> information!  I think this could work perfectly for on the fly conversion
> of qcow2 images to raw format on our PVCs.

FYI if you are intending to accept qcow2 images from untrustworthy sources
you must take special care to validate the image in a confined environment.
It is possible to construct malicious images that inflict a denial of
service attack on CPU or memory or both, even when merely opening the image
to query its metadata. This has been reported as a CVE against OpenStack
in the past:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ossa/+bug/1449062

Recommendation is to run 'qemu-img info' to extract the metadata and sanity
check results eg no backing file list, not unreasonable size, etc. When
running 'qemu-img info' apply process limits of 30 secs CPU time, and 1 GB
address space.

Regards,
Daniel