Re: [Qemu-discuss] Why arm and aarch64 -M virt boards don't have graphic

From: Ciro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Why arm and aarch64 -M virt boards don't have graphics support?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 20:28:34 +0100

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 9:32 AM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 21 May 2018 at 00:26, Ciro Santilli <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Do you know which options I might need to add to my  QEMU -M virt
>> command to make it open a graphic window (and hopefully show the
>> CONFIG_LOGO penguin)?
>>
>> For example on QEMU v2.12.0, the following boots fine but does not
>> open an SDL graphical window like an analogous x86 command would:
>>
>> qemu-system-aarch64 \
>> -serial mon:stdio \
>> -M virt \
>> -append 'root=/dev/vda console=ttyAMA0' \
>> -cpu cortex-a57 \
>> -kernel Image \
>> -drive file='rootfs.ext2.qcow2,if=virtio,format=qcow2' \
>
> I'm guessing this command line is truncated. In general assuming

Hmm, I have just double checked, and that was my full exact command,
there was no -nographic option.

Then I noticed that it behaves differently between my Ubuntu 18.04 vs
Ubuntu 16.04 machines: on 18.04, the SDL window does not open for
aarch64, only for x86.

Then, if I connect with -vnc :0 instead, I observe on both Ubuntus:

* aarch64
** with -serial mon:stdio: GUI has only parallel, ctrl + alt + n does
not switch to any other, monitor and serial on host terminal
** without -serial mon:stdio: GUI has 3 windows: serial, parallel and
monitor, but no framebuffer
* x86_64
** with -serial mon:stdio: GUI has two windows, framebuffer and
parallel, serial and monitor on host terminal
** without -serial mon:stdio: GUI has 4 views: framebuffer, serial,
parallel and monitor

Could this be because the kernel is not configured properly, so QEMU
does not open the framebuffer all?

qemu master at: 4f50c1673a89b07f376ce5c42d22d79a79cd466d

test scripts:

*
https://github.com/cirosantilli/qemu-test/blob/b3c9168749929529dd789ef509f9dd51812f682c/aarch64/min
*
https://github.com/cirosantilli/qemu-test/blob/b3c9168749929529dd789ef509f9dd51812f682c/aarch64/min

Configure command:

./configure \
 --enable-debug \
 --enable-trace-backends=simple \
 --target-list=x86_64-softmmu,arm-softmmu,aarch64-softmmu \
 --enable-sdl \
 --with-sdlabi=2.0 \
;