Re: [Qemu-discuss] [Qemu-devel] Apple hypervisor.framework (hvf) availab

From: Brendan Simon (eTRIX)
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] [Qemu-devel] Apple hypervisor.framework (hvf) availability
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 10:05:53 +1100

On 7/2/18 11:54 pm, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 07/02/2018 12:41, Brendan Simon (eTRIX) wrote:
>> Also, qemu seems to crash if left for a period of time (in the order of
>> hours).  No response at all.  No cursor movement or anything.  I have to
>> force quit the application.
> Hmm, it would be interesting to get a debugger backtrace when that happens.

Any idea where I find the backtrace info?  Couldn't see anything in the
build directory, or in the Console.app (to view various system/user logs).

BTW, I'm invoking qemu from the build directory with:

./x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 -accel hvf -m 4096
/Volumes/Windows/QEMU_VMs/Win7-Ultimate/hd0.img -net nic -net user

>> Is anyone actively working/testing/profiling the hvf accelerator to
>> improve it's performance and robustness?
>>
>> What can users do to provide information for developers to make such
>> improvements?
> No one is working on QEMU/HVF right now, I don't even own a computer
> that can run it.  However I hope that the Android emulator developers
> take it up.

Android?  Is there a link with Android and macos?

Maybe qemu developers/users do not know that hvf is now available in
qemu?  Is it promoted so that people may become interested and try to
progress further development?  There must be some qemu developers that
have access to Macs and may even be Mac users too (just an assumption).
Trying to pique their interest would be good ;-)

Brendan.