Re: [Qemu-discuss] [vfio-users] Device not tied to a QemuConsole.

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] [vfio-users] Device not tied to a QemuConsole.
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2017 09:39:23 -0600

On Sat, 07 Oct 2017 22:21:05 +0300
José Pekkarinen <address@hidden> wrote:

> > You need a time machine because the thing you're trying to do hasn't
> > been implemented yet, it's under discussion upstream.  Thanks,
>
>       Wow! Where is my flux capacitor when I need it...
>
>       Out of curiosity, is the vnc use case something that depends in
> anything
> else but Qemu? I guess the spice case might need some support from intel or
> qxl driver to handle the display.

Yes, there are kernel changes necessary, QEMU doesn't have any idea
where the device stores the framebuffer, when it's accessible, when it
changes, etc.  There's a vfio interface being designed to support
passing dma-bufs to userspace for this purpose for Intel and vfio
regions with framebuffer data for NVIDIA.

>       For now, mediated devices are usable for linux guests and in windows
> may
> be for opencl and background rendering, right?

Any remote desktop software that can be used on bare metal can be used
in the VM, ex. VNC server, HP RGS, NICE DCV, even Steam streaming.
QEMU is not the only way to get to a "desktop" for the GPU.  Thanks,

Alex