Re: [Qemu-discuss] Networking with Ubuntu 17.04

From: Vincenzo Romano
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Networking with Ubuntu 17.04
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 10:57:25 +0200

> El 15/06/17 a les 09:26, Vincenzo Romano ha escrit:
>>>
>>> El 14/06/17 a les 21:13, Peter Maydell ha escrit:

>>> I use Qemu versions as OS distributions provide during their lifecycle.
>>>

>> Hi.
>> Which host OS are you using?
>> Ubuntu 14.04 is (still) shipping v2.0.0.
>> While the OS itself is LTS, the applications aren't.
>> v2.0.0 has been released on 2014-04-17, 3+ years ago and maybe it's
>> not able to run a kernel released a few months ago.
>> Besides that, have you tried a "virtio-net" device?
>>
>> --
>> Vincenzo Romano - NotOrAnd.IT
>> Information Technologies
>> --
>> NON QVIETIS MARIBVS NAVTA PERITVS
>>

> Yes, tried with same resul.

Anyway,

I manually download and compile QEMU from the latest released sources.
And a few times also from GIT.
Ubuntu actually sucks in keeping up with important (to me) packages,
so either I use alternative repositories or compile them by myself.
If I can give you my advise, jump on 16.04 if possible. You'll get
newer versions for almost all packages (QEMU is at 2.6) and longer
term support.