[Qemu-discuss] Loading microcode to ROM for new Arm based CPU type

From: James Hanley
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Loading microcode to ROM for new Arm based CPU type
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:28:11 -0400

I've been trying to develop a Atmel SAM4 series support for CPU support as an MCU, mimicking implementation layout of the STM support.   Part of the ATSAM4 die series is ROM microcode used for referencing details such as NMI located at 0x00800000.   I've loaded our own application at 0x00400000, which is the reset vector for the chip... when I try to add it via

qemu-system-arm -M ourBoard ... \
-device loader,addr=0x00400000,file=${imageApplication} \
-kernel ${imageApplication} \
-device loader,addr=0x00800000,file=ATSAM4_ROM.img \

It loads the imageApplication at the proper address location, mindful that in order for the to work I needed to specify the kernel option as well for the same file. For the microcode file ATSAM4_ROM.img, it does not show any data at that address location (0x00800000) even when I specify a second -kernel option specifying the ATSAM_ROM.img...  is there something I'm doing wrong with the command line to make it available?

Thanks in advance,
-Jim