[Qemu-discuss] Help wanted: QEMU Advent Calendar 2016

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Help wanted: QEMU Advent Calendar 2016
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 15:05:34 +0200

 Hi all!

This year, we are celebrating the 10th anniversary of KVM [1] (and the
25th anniversary of Linux), so to contribute to this celebration, we
would like to reanimate the QEMU Advent Calendar.

If you didn't see the previous QEMU Advent Calendar 2014 yet, have a look at

  http://www.qemu-advent-calendar.org/

This year, too, the QEMU Advent Calendar 2016 will be a website that
reveals a new disk image for download each day in December until the
holiday season starts. Launching the disk image under QEMU will bring up
a nice surprise!

But to be able to make this happen, we need help from people who
- have ideas for disk images
- would like to prepare one or more disk images.
Ideally, you have an idea for a disk image and also prepare it yourself.
But we also are glad to get just the ideas, or help from people who
would like to prepare a disk image with the idea from somebody else!

Disk image requirements:
 * We need 24 disk images (for the first 24 days of December)
 * Content must be freely redistributable (i.e. no proprietary
   license that prevents distribution). For GPL based software,
   you need to provide the source code, too.
 * Provide a name and a short description of the disk image
   (e.g. with hints on what to try)
 * Provide a ./run shell script that prints out the name and
   description/hints and launches QEMU
 * Provide a screenshot/image/logo for the website
 * Size should be ideally under 100 MB per disk image

Are you interested in participating? Then please reply to this email
(off-list if you do not want to spoil your idea for disk images).

Or do you have questions? Then feel free to reply or ask on the #qemu
channel on irc.oftc.net, too.

 Thomas & Kashyap

PS: The QEMU Advent Calendar 2016 is a secular calendar (not
religious). The idea is for the QEMU community to create a fun
experience to share with everyone, and to celebrate the 10th anniversary
of KVM. You don't need to celebrate Christmas or another religious
festival to participate!

PPS: Thanks to Stefan Hajnoczi for organizing the Advent Calendar 2014
... as you might have noticed, I also shamelessly lent some ideas and
sentences from his announcement e-mail from two years ago :-) [2]

[1] According to the following presentation, the anouncement of KVM was
in October 2006:
 http://www.linux-kvm.org/images/6/61/KvmForum2007$kf2007-keynote.pdf

[2] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2014-10/msg02592.html