[Qemu-discuss] Live migration between different versions

From: Jean Kahrs
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Live migration between different versions
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 11:07:24 +0200

Hi,

My question is if I can consider QEMU to support live migrations between different versions as a stable feature.

I am currently migrating virtual machines from an older QEMU+KVM host (QEMU 1.2.x) to a newer (1.3.x) machine via libvirt to prepare hardware updates on the older machine.

e.g.

virsh migrate --p2p --live --copy-storage-all --tunnelled --persistent --undefinesource $VMID qemu+ssh://$TARGETHOST/system

This is all working fine, so now I'd like to know if I it is planned to keep this feature working between versions for future migrations.