Re: [Qemu-discuss] Latency degradation on VM due to several QEMU process

From: Yan Fridland
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Latency degradation on VM due to several QEMU processes on the host.
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 11:39:47 +0000

Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot for the information below.

It really may improve some RT capabilities of my applications running on VMs
and honestly I am doing 90% from what is mentioned there.

But, one of the problems I saw, to make long story short, if you want low
latencies, you have to isolate all the cores and run each VCPU on a dedicated
core and each VCPU thread on different core and each QEMU on different core.
This way I will run out of cores really fast :), which is extremely problematic
for me. For example in the ppt I saw:

"Run VCPU threads on dedicated CPUs"
"Run KVM guest VCPUs on isolated CPUs"

If I have 3 vcpus this means that I will need 6 dedicated cores on the host ??

Anyway, I will try running QEMUs with "mlock=on" and do some configuration
updates e.g. idle=poll and not mwait as I have now, but my main questions
remained:
        1. How can I run several QEMUs on a single core and still keep low
latencies on the VMs ? Is "mlock=on" the solution for this?
        2. QEMU generates different threads running on different cores (besides
VCPU threads running on the affinity cores, defined in a pinning section of the
virsh XML). May this harm latency as well? May and should I do some special
affinity to them or change priority, etc ... ?

Sincerely,
Yan