[Qemu-discuss] Macvtap statistics

From: Venkateswara Rao Dokku
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Macvtap statistics
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 14:49:35 +0530

Hi,
I am a little confused about what is RX & TX on the TAP & guest inteface.

When we launch a VM, with 1 PNIC attached to the guest as a Macvtap bridge, the traffic can flow through 2 directions.

1. From the Guest VM's interface to the PNIC via the TAP interface
2. From the outside network to the guest interface via the TAP interface.

So, which is considered as Rx & which is considered as Tx?
Is the meaning is same in both the interfaces guest & TAp on host. i.e. Rx counter on TAP & Rx counter guest interface are same or Rx on TAP becomes Tx on guest interface & vice-versa.

or, Is the TAP interface on host is simply the replica of the guest interface?

Thanks in advance.

.