[Qemu-discuss] OSX options for DHCP address for Yocto VM

From: Programmingkid
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] OSX options for DHCP address for Yocto VM
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 12:29:52 -0500

> I have a Yocto VM built with a profile of qemux86-64 running successfully,
> sans networking, on OSX.
>
> What I would like is to have a DHCP assigned address for the VM so that I can
> reach it from the host. I have tried the startup options below:
>
> /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -kernel images/bzImage-qemux86-64.bin -usb
> -netdev user,id=user.0 -device usb-net,netdev=user.0 -drive
> file=images/core-image-full-cmdline-qemux86-64.ext4,if=virtio,format=raw
> -show-cursor -no-reboot -m 256 -serial mon:vc -serial null --append "vga=0
> uvesafb.mode_option=640x480-32 root=/dev/vda rw mem=256M oprofile.timer=1
> rootfstype=ext4 ?
>
> The options above, which I understood to equivalent to not specifying
> anything at all for netdev, do not give me a configured eth0. So, not what I
> need it seems.
>
> And, with no netted options at all:
>
> /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -kernel images/bzImage-qemux86-64.bin -usb
> -drive
> file=images/core-image-full-cmdline-qemux86-64.ext4,if=virtio,format=raw
> -show-cursor -no-reboot -m 256 -serial mon:vc -serial null --append "vga=0
> uvesafb.mode_option=640x480-32 root=/dev/vda rw mem=256M oprofile.timer=1
> rootfstype=ext4 ?
>
> The options above do give me a configured eth0, with an address taken from
> the Qemu DHCP address pool. That address, of 10.0.2.15 as it happens, is not
> reachable from the OSX host though. So, close, but no cookie yet.
>
> Can anyone help me wth closing the gap so I can reach the VM from the OSX
> host please?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Nathan

Sorry but due to QEMU's limitations, accessing the guest from the host using
ethernet networking is currently not possible. I tried to access a Mac OS 10.4
guest from a Mac OS 10.6 host. It didn't work. I could see from the host the
guest had file sharing on, but that was all I could see. Attempts to connect to
the guest server always failed.

This is what the documentation says:
http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking

SLIRP section:
"the guest is not directly accessible from the host or the external network"

There are other backends that might have more success than SLIRP, but from what
I remember, SLIRP is the only one I could get to work. I think the other
backends are more Linux-friendly.