Re: [Qemu-discuss] Running dual-core ARM Cortexa9

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Running dual-core ARM Cortexa9
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 12:21:17 +0000

On 21 December 2015 at 18:40, Ilya Katsnelson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Does anyone have experience running ARM Dual-core (in particular) Cortexa9
> simulation? Can you share the exact parameters that should be used?

Why do you want to run dual-core? At the moment it will just
give worse performance than running a single core TCG guest
(there is extra overhead).

> qemu-system-arm -kernel zImage-vcm4-try.bin -net nic,model=virtio -net
> tap,vlan=0,ifname=tap0,script=no,downscript=no -M versatilepb -drive
> file=core-image-minimal-vcm4-try-20151220011520.rootfs.ext4,if=virtio,format=raw
> -no-reboot -show-cursor -usb -usbdevice wacom-tablet -no-reboot -nographic
> -serial mon:stdio -append 'console=ttyS0' -m 128 -serial null --append
> "root=/dev/vda rw console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty
> ip=192.168.7.2::192.168.7.1:255.255.255.0 mem=128M highres=off
> rootfstype=ext4 "
>

> However, it uses versatilepb as the machine and it only supports one core.
>
> I've tried using different machine parameter - "-M vexpress-a9 -cpu
> cortex-a9". But then QEMu was complaining that the network driver was
> incorrect, then USB driver, then storage driver.

If you want to run on a different emulated board you will need
to have the correct kernel and command lines for that different
board; you can't in general just change the machine parameter
(this will have about the same effect as putting a versatilepb
kernel onto real vexpress-a9 hardware, ie the guest will crash
on startup.)

There is no PCI support on vexpress-a9, which is why your
command line arguments won't work (they're creating emulated
PCI USB, network, etc devices).

thanks