Re: [Qemu-discuss] Qemu "-cpu host" option

From: Abhinav Sharma
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Qemu "-cpu host" option
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 13:53:28 +0530

Okay, I get it now. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

If I don't use '-enable-kvm', Qemu will use binary translation EVEN IF the value of -cpu is 'host' or any other x86 architecture whose binaries are compatible with my x86 host machine.

But if I use 'enable-kvm', Qemu will perform direct execution of the target cpu instructions. (Provided that 'enable-kvm' option is supported for the target cpu)

Thanks,
Abhinav Sharma

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:19 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
On 26 November 2015 at 17:46, Abhinav Sharma <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sorry, I should have mentioned this earlier.
> I'm running it on x86_64 architecture, and I'm using -enable-kvm .
> So in this case, does Qemu binary translate even when "-cpu host" is used?

-cpu host doesn't affect the choice of whether we do binary
translation or not -- that is always decided by the -enable-kvm
and/or -machine accel=<whatever> options.

thanks