Re: [Qemu-discuss] Qemu "-cpu host" option

From: Abhinav Sharma
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Qemu "-cpu host" option
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 23:16:52 +0530

Sorry, I should have mentioned this earlier.
I'm running it on x86_64 architecture, and I'm using -enable-kvm .
So in this case, does Qemu binary translate even when "-cpu host" is used?

Thanks,
Abhinav

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:11 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
On 26 November 2015 at 17:33, Abhinav Sharma <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> What does Qemu do when invoked using "-cpu host" option that sets target CPU
> same as the host CPU?
>
> Is it that when this option is used Qemu performs no binary translation?
> Because the target CPU is same as host CPU, code compiled for target CPU may
> run directly on host CPU.
>
> Or does Qemu discover the configuration of host CPU, automatically use the
> most appropriate flag and cpu values, and use binary translation anyway?

That depends what target architecture you're using. For instance for
ARM targets, "-cpu host" is only valid if KVM is enabled and is an
error otherwise.

thanks