Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to Enable virtio networking on windows host win8.

From: Bodo Eggert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to Enable virtio networking on windows host win8.1
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 13:25:26 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015, test comp wrote:

> i tried bridging the tap network, and also user mode networking. But for
> some reason VM network is always internal.
>
> It cannot connect to host or to external internet connection.

If it was just the host, I'd suspect the firewall.

> and most of the time i am getting this error while using tap network
> "qemu-system-i386.exe: -net tap,ifname=TAP: Device 'tap' could not be
> initialized"
>
> trying all different combinations but nothing successful.
> qemu-system-i386.exe -hda linux.img -boot c -vga std -net nic,model=virtio
> -net bridge,br=tapbr -m 1024 -net user,id=Ethernet,net=
> 192.168.0.0/24,dhcpstart=192.168.0.1 -redir tcp:5555::80 -redir
> tcp:5556::445

Are you using all the options at once?

I'm using "-net tap,ifname=qemu-7eggert -net nic" on Linux to do this.
You should also get a NATed network using "-net user -net nic".
I did not yet use the -net bridge option.

My network bridge is set up like this:
iface br0 inet static
        bridge_ports eth0 qemu-7eggert
        bridge_maxwait 0
        address 192.168.x.210
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.x.y
        pre-up  tunctl -t qemu-7eggert -u 7eggert

Unfortunatwely I only get one tap device, but I want to avoid everybody to
have network pernissions. Maybe there is a nice way to have a virtual
switch per user? (shamelessly mentioning my own "problem")