Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to Enable virtio networking on windows host win8.

From: 7eggert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to Enable virtio networking on windows host win8.1
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 23:02:19 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015, test comp wrote:

Hi All,
I am running qemu on windows 8 host and trying to get the network enabled on
the linux guest with virtio drivers.
but not successful so far, i have also tried setting the static ip address and
dns configuration on my linux guest. But
nothing works.

I am using 2.3.0 version Qemu and below is the command line i am executing.

qemu-system-x86_64.exe  -hda linux.img -boot c -vga std -net nic,model=virtio
-m 1024

qemu will create a network segment just for the emulated system. You need to connect that segment using e.g. the "-net user" option (NAT) or to connect it using a tap device.

For setting up the TAP device, I found this:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Using_QEMU_on_Windows#Networking_Issues_in_QEmu

(I think setting up ICS is not what you'd want, I'd try to skip it and just breate the bridge. That's what I did on Linux.)

HTH