Re: [Qemu-discuss] [Qemu-devel] KVM guest gets aborted if blockcommit is

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] [Qemu-devel] KVM guest gets aborted if blockcommit is called
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 14:15:51 -0600

On 08/27/2015 02:01 PM, Christian Rößner wrote:

>>> Until now, everything looks perfectly. No issues. Backup is running
>>> smoothly.
>>>
>>> Thanks very much. If nothing changes until tonight, I am going to close the
>>> bug report.
>>>

>> Christian,
>>
>> Great to hear, thanks for the follow-up.
>
> Just a final result:
>
> As I use libvirt with qemu, I used the blockcommit feature with libvirt.
> Running blockcommit directly with --wait --active --pivot, it may happen that
> the pivot fails, because the blockcommit wasn't already ready to pivot. But I
> do not know, if this is libvirt related or qemu. Splitting it into
> blockcommit and blockjob, everything works like a charm. So I have a working
> solution now. Thanks very much for your help and feedback.

Which version of libvirt? There was a bug up until 1.2.18 where older
libvirt got thrown off by newer qemu returning a status with 0 progress
but equal to the block job size, and libvirt interpreting it as job
complete with a result of failing the command; splitting the job into
distinct parts was indeed the right workaround as it prevented hitting
the window.  See libvirt commit eae5924