Re: [Qemu-discuss] KVM on Mac OS X host

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] KVM on Mac OS X host
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 13:24:05 +0100

On 18 August 2015 at 01:51, Programmingkid <address@hidden> wrote:
> If we did use Mac OS 10.10's hypervisor, I'm thinking that would
> mean everyone using Mac OS 10.9 and below would not be able to
> use it. Does implementing one ourselves that could work on
> Mac OS 10.5 and up sound possible?

Nope. That would basically require writing a custom kernel
extension to provide the equivalent functionality. (This
is how the commercial virtualization products do it, and
they seem to break every other OSX release as Apple
changes kernel internals.) It would be an enormous amount
of work to support a set of obsolete OS versions.

If you did want to do it, probably the best thing to
do would be to do it as a separate project which was
a kernel extension/library/etc that implemented the
hypervisor framework API on the older OSes. Then QEMU
(and any other software that used the official APIs)
wouldn't need to care which it was using.

thanks