Re: [Qemu-discuss] [libvirt-users] Do I need to enable qemu-ga's guest-s

From: james harvey
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] [libvirt-users] Do I need to enable qemu-ga's guest-suspend: hybrid/suspend-ram/disk/shutdown?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 03:51:53 +0000

"success-response":false has nothing to do with whether a guest-agent
command is enabled, but rather whether you should expect a response from
the agent itself when the command succeeds.  For these commands, the
answer is no, you do not get a response from the guest agent, because
the action performed by the guest has shut things down to the point that
it cannot reply; instead, to learn if the command was successful, you
must listen to the ordinary QMP monitor for an event notification
corresponding to the change in guest state.

Libvirt already handles this interaction correctly.

Ahh, OK.  Rats, was hoping I had found a lead to my "no matter what method I try, I can't have a graceful shutdown/suspend of my guest VM's if the host is shutting down/rebooting" problem.