Re: [Qemu-discuss] Puzzling performance comparison with KVM and Hyper-V

From: Tim Bell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Puzzling performance comparison with KVM and Hyper-V
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 18:53:23 +0000

Thanks for all the help to understand the potential optimisations.

To summarise, various tuning approaches have been described in http://openstack-in-production.blogspot.fr/2015/08/kvm-and-hyper-v-comparison-for-high.html and child blogs.

We’ve got pretty close to the Hyper-V performance using NUMA and pinning. Most of the settings are available in the OpenStack Kilo release which we’ll be installing in 2H 2015.

It may be worth reflecting on some of the KVM defaults. As always, multiple workloads are needed to find sensible defaults. Whether these are set in OpenStack or KVM is a further question.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions already provided towards making high throughput computing in High Energy Physics more efficient.

Tim