[Qemu-discuss] Do arm cpu emulator and arm dynamic translator work toget

From: Devendra Agarwal
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Do arm cpu emulator and arm dynamic translator work together?
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 09:10:56 +0900

Hi All,

This is Devendra. I have used QeMu based emulators as a user but I have not been involved in the qemu development.

My organization has given me a task to give a presentation on ARM emulation in QeMu.
I am trying to get basic idea of how cpu emulation is done.

I have read various online documents, blogs and some source files in target-arm folder.

After reading this all, I have a baisc doubt.

Do arm cpu emulator and arm dynamic translator work together?

I do not have very good understanding but I am assuming that an arm cpu emulator should be able to execute arm instructions without translating those to host architecture instructions.

On the other hand, dynamic translator can translate arm instructions to the instructions of host architecture. So with dynamic translator, we should not need any arm cpu emulator.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks a lot in advance for finding time to read my email and to reply it.

Regards,
Devendra