Re: [Qemu-discuss] GRO not happening in VM with VxLAN

From: Santosh R
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] GRO not happening in VM with VxLAN
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 00:44:50 +0530

I am using 3.18 kernel.

#uname -a
Linux Indra.asicdesigners.com 3.18.0 #11 SMP Wed Jul 1 21:49:44 IST 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
#cat /etc/issue
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago)
Kernel \r on an \m

As mentioned in my initial post, this is how I am starting the VM. How do we enable/pass tx-udp_tnl-segmentation feature in the below command? Is this an option while creating the VM?
# qemu-system-x86_64 -m 4096 -smp 4 -boot c -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=tap0,mac=00:11:22:33:44:55 -netdev tap,id=tap0,script=no,vhost=on -drive file=/root/vdisk_rhel65.img &

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 12:37 AM, Vlad Yasevich <address@hidden> wrote:
On 07/01/2015 02:50 PM, Santosh R wrote:
> Since the vxlan UDP header checksum is 0, udp_tunnel_gro_complete (called
> via vxlan_gro_complete) is setting SKB_GSO_UDP_TUNNEL in
> skb_shinfo(skb)->gso_type.
> Later when bridge interface tries to forward this packet to tap interface
> (br_dev_queue_push_xmit -> __dev_queue_xmit -> validate_xmit_skb)
> netif_needs_gso will succeed (skb_gso_ok returns 0)
> resulting in packet segmentation (which was earlier aggregated) as tap
> interface doesn't have this feature. Is there a way to enable
> tx-udp_tnl-segmentation for tap interface?

No.  Those features are set by qemu when the guest is created and
mirror any features that are supported by the guest.  So, if the guest
virtio doesn't have that feature, neither will the tap device.

Which kernel version are you using on the host?

-vlad