Re: [Qemu-discuss] Virtual desktops network and port numbers

From: Tony Su
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Virtual desktops network and port numbers
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 11:32:40 -0700

 The way I understand it,

The port number is only critical for display mapping which would be
particularly important if all Guests are deployed on the same machine,
the machines are sharing the Host's IP address and you are logged into
the Host wanting to view any/all Guests.

But, this all becomes relatively moot if you configure each Guest with
its own IP address (IMO most common so that Network Services like DNS
better understand the location of each machine both virtual and
physical)
If each machine is accessible with a different IP address, then you
can also configure any port number both same or different and still be
unique on the network.

In other words...
Conceptually it should be helpful to understand what is typically
configured <in> the Guest and what is configured as Guest properties.
Separate and categorize where a configuration is, and you'll then be
able to more easily recognize the bottom line combined effect.

Tony