[Qemu-discuss] Networking: Questions about Host to Guest interal traffic

From: David Borman
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Networking: Questions about Host to Guest interal traffic management
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 10:37:35 +0200

Hi,

I have a Instance running and iam curious about the internals and how the packets are routed from the physical (hostsystem) layer to the Internal, virtual Guest interface (virtio, e1000, rtl8139 ect) (IP/TCP/UDP/ICMP Data only).

"How" is an inboud packet, reaching the hosts physical ethernetcard hardware forwarded to the virtual nic inside the guest os and what is happening if the guest os firewall
 drops/reject/accept the packet?

1) Will the Hostsystem drop this packet physically?
2) Is the Guest OS dropping the packet at the virtual guest network adapter? (and if so, what data still remains inside the Hostsystem memory structures and what event triggers the memory cleanup?)

ps:
If there is any good docs out there, then please let me now. On google i only find very generic stuff.

Thx, David