[Qemu-discuss] Using qemu-sparc to debug Software for LEON3

From: Ariel Arelovich
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Using qemu-sparc to debug Software for LEON3
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 07:51:36 -0300

Hi,

I'm working (as part of a team) in a project which would involve
creating a platform (coded in HDL) based around the Leon3 processor.
Right now, the platform is very simple and it only has one peripheral,
a bit of ROM and RAM. My main responsibility is to write software for
the platform.

I wrote a very quick program (bare metal application) that simply
orders 100 numbers. I want to test that program (managed to compile
and create a file using mkprom2).

My question: is it possible to use qemu-sparc (that is the binary name
for the sparc emulator in linux) to run the program? If it is possible
can I know stuff like the state of the registers or what was written
into memory (the RAM)?

I'm new to this and I was just wondering what were the limitations of
this emulator so I know to pursue this or search other venues for
simulating the software.

Thank you in advance.