Re: [Qemu-discuss] linux: ioctl(KVM_CREATE_VM) failed: 12 Cannot allocat

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] linux: ioctl(KVM_CREATE_VM) failed: 12 Cannot allocate memory
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 07:27:04 +0100

On 27/02/2015 05:22, Ken Moffat wrote:
On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 02:12:28AM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
I had kvm working fine (i686 guest) from a new x86_64 host system -
after fixing up some Xorg server issues - and then I decided to
create a new x86_64 guest (this is linuxfromscratch, so using an old
guest to build a new one).  But now when I try to start qemu with
any of my images, even one which worked a couple of hours ago after
I last reran 'startx', I get:

ioctl(KVM_CREATE_VM) failed: 12 Cannot allocate memory
failed to initialize KVM: Cannot allocate memory

and google produced nothing useful about where I need to look.  This
is linux-3.19.0 and qemu-2.2.0 (and linuxfromscratch-7.7-rc /
current BLFS).  Any pointers, pretty please with sugar ?

  Eventually, I finished the application tests I had been doing, and
decided to reboot to see if that would fix it.  But before rebooting,
I killed Xorg with ctrl-alt-backspace (yes, I'm old school ;) and
then ran 'startx' again : now qemu is working once more.

  Very weird, I was starting to think it might be a kernel
regression, but apparently not.  Any pointers for what the error
message means would still be appreciated.
I think it is self-explanatory: Not enough free memory in
the system, mostprobably because your X server had
allocated too much.

The  command "free" of the top lines in "top" output should
tell you how much is left.

Enjoy

Jakob