[Qemu-discuss] How can I make serial port redirected to file use line bu

From: Priedhorsky, Reid
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] How can I make serial port redirected to file use line buffering?
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:19:00 +0000

Hello,

I am running QEMU with three serial ports redirected to files: the guest Linux
console and two other logs. It appears that these serial ports are writing
unbuffered to the file. Specifically, when I tail -F several files from
different QEMU processes at once, output is intermingled character-by-character
rather than line-by-line.

I believe this is causing boot performance problems, as boot is much faster
with these files on some filesystems rather than others. Therefore, I’d like to
use line buffering instead, to reduce the number of writes to disk. How can I
do this?

Here is my QEMU command line. Some paths have been trimmed.

$ qemu-system-x86_64 -boot order=dc -cpu host -device virtio-blk,drive=vd0
-device virtio-blk,drive=vd1,scsi=off,x-data-plane=on -drive
file=./charlie-test/run/0.overlay.qcow2,id=vd0,if=none,aio=native,format=qcow2,
-drive file=/chscratch1/0.tmp,id=vd1,if=none,aio=native,format=raw,cache=none
-k en-us -m 26786008K -machine q35,accel=kvm -net
nic,model=virtio,macaddr=0C:00:AC:16:0C:01 -net
tap,ifname=tap0,script=no,downscript=no -serial
file:./charlie-test/out/0_console.out -serial file:./charlie-test/out/0_job.out
-serial file:./charlie-test/out/0_job.err -smp 2 -vga cirrus -virtfs
local,security_model=none,path=[...]/charliecloud/opt,mount_tag=opt -virtfs
local,security_model=none,path=./charlie-test/meta,mount_tag=meta -virtfs
local,security_model=none,path=testout/data4,mount_tag=data4 -virtfs
local,security_model=none,path=testout,mount_tag=data1 -virtfs
local,security_model=none,path=testout/data3,mount_tag=data3 -virtfs
local,security_model=none,path=testout/data2,mount_tag=data2 -display none

I can provide more details if needed. Just let me know what questions you have.

Thanks,
Reid