Re: [Qemu-discuss] Incomplete '-d exec' traces?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Incomplete '-d exec' traces?
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 16:19:48 +0000

On 14 January 2015 at 01:47, Evan Driscoll <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have another question vaguely related to my previous one. To recall, I'm
> running QEMU in single-process mode on an ARM program, passing -d
> exec,in_asm and trying to reconstruct the program's execution trace.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have as much information here, and the program under
> test is now a real program and not a toy test. I'm also working off of a
> QEMU version that I've hacked the logging code a little bit to output thread
> IDs and and get a more atomic log, because this program is multithreaded;

Note that that is currently not supported -- we don't have any kind
of locking on the TCG data structures, and so any serious multithreaded
guest program in single-process mode is likely to segfault, hang or
misbehave because at some point two threads are going to both try to
translate code at the same time. Some of the weird logs you see may be
because we're actually doing weird things as a result.

Fixing this is actually on the todo list now (in the sense of "I would
expect us to get to this this year")...